Translate

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Trying new things

With the heat of summer kicking into high gear, we're finding more reasons to use the grill. Why heat up the house more than necessary?
Yesterday we had grilled portabello mushrooms covered in mozzarella cheese and grilled onions. All served on a toasted kaiser roll with sliced Roma tomatoes rounding out the meal. 
My wife and daughter have been trying new recipes that taste good and keep the house from getting warmer than it has to. We just had the A/C fixed again guys, we're going easy on it.
Tonight it's rice and ka-bobs with salad.
No doubt about it, we're eating healthier. Pausing for a moment, I tried to remember the last time I had fast food. It's been a few months at least.
Most of the time we eat at home and cook our meals ahead of time.
Last week my wife cooked a couple of chicken breasts, then froze them. Later in the week when we wanted a casserole or quesadillas, we popped one out, chopped it up and served a wonderful dinner.
I don't run out of steam around 3 in the afternoon like I used to and I'm feeling pretty good.
I've always felt Asian cuisine got it right. Heavy on the veggies, a little less starch and light on the meat.
I like a steak just as much as the next guy, but I don't need that very often. I'm really happier with eating smart. Those marinated ka-bobs were excellent over rice. I'm going to have to get some new salad dressings however.
When my friends are being diagnosed with everything ranging from diabetes to cancer, I wonder what I'm doing right. Perhaps this is one of those things. It is my hope I'm setting a good example for my children by eating healthy. Or as my wife will point out, I have a healthy appetite.
For those of you interested:
Smoked Portobello mushroom burgers
  • 4 large Portobello mushrooms 4 to 5 in. across
  • 3/4 cup of marinade. This can be anything from Yoshida sauce to a marinade for beef
  • 1 onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2 rounds
  • 4 oz. mozzarella, thinly sliced
  • 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
  • 4 tlbs. melted butter
  • 4 large kaiser rolls
  • Pickles, lettuce, mayo, mustard, ketchup for serving
Wipe the mushroom caps clean with a damp paper towel. Remove the stems.
Put the mushrooms and the onion slices into a resealable bag along with the marinade. Let marinade refrigerated for 4 to 6 hours. Drain. You can refrigerate the marinade and reuse if desired. it did not touch any meat, so we're good.
Make sure the grill is good and smoking, a medium-low heat. 225 degrees.
Arrange the mushrooms gill side down and onion slices on the grill for about 30 minutes.
Increase the heat to about 350 and flip the mushrooms gill side up. Cook mushrooms and onions for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. It's okay if the onions are a little crunchy. When the mushrooms are almost done, top each with 1/4 of the cheese. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the melted butter. Grill them cut side down, for a few minutes to toast them up.
Bottom half of the rolls on a plate. Cheese covered mushrooms on the bottom roll. Top with the onions or tomatoes and condiments of your choice.
Oh my. Fan-freaking-tastic.

 

No comments: