Translate

Monday, November 11, 2013

Dream a little dream


As of this writing I don't know if I'll be going to work tomorrow. Saturday night I came down with something and spent a little quality time in the bathroom admiring the recently cleaned toilet bowl. (oh... hey look, I missed a spot.)
Today was spent dressing warmly and trying to sweat it out with moderate success. My tummy is still not happy with me. How does that saying go? Feed a fever and starve a cold? Symptoms include nauseous stomach, clammy skin, sensitivity to light and Barry Manilow music. Although that may explain the nausea...
I'll say this: my arms haven't fallen asleep all day. Usually in the morning, my fingers and hands will start to tingle. I switch off hands while driving in an effort not to have a full blown car accident. It all began last year when I started doing the serious loading and lifting at my work. More often than not, I awake to a hand painfully tingling or an arm that feels like it's going to fall off. For some strange reason that hasn't happened today. I can lay on my side or type this blog post and not have my fingertips go numb. Seems like a benefit, but I have to remind myself that's what it's supposed to feel like. In no way should I be grateful for something that is supposed to happen normally. Maybe the medicine I took is relaxing my muscles to the point where I can function with almost full abilities and range of motion. Which reminds me, I really ought to take some before crashing tonight.
In looking for a bright side to this, (yes, even sick I try to see the silver lining.) I'll get some really deep sleep and have some lucid dreams. It's a wonder I'm not insane. Ever since I was a kid, my dreams have been so realistic that I confused them with reality. I remember as a child having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I'd shuffle out of my bed with my footie pajamas scratching the floor as I made my way to the bathroom to do my business, only to find out I never left my bed. And people wonder why I pinch myself before walking into a restroom nowadays... geesh!
In all seriousness, a lot of my writing comes from my dreams. When I was in the hospital, my subconscious unleashed all the demons and monsters on my waking mind, and I didn't always win. This is what I refer to as the twilight time, that space between the dream realm and the waking world. There I solved mysteries, fought malevolent creatures and survived deadly races. There was a point where I didn't want to leave the world where I played poker with diamonds or solved a murder on a luxury ocean liner. Just as my childhood dreams, I couldn't tell which one was real. There are times where I wonder if I made the right choice and decided this reality was the real one.
Let me tell you a little secret: While recovering in the hospital, my choice of realities came down to this world where I was deaf and healing from traumatic injury, and the alternate reality where I was a detective and Lucy Lawless was my sidekick. I should have gone hunting for the missing diamonds with the beautiful partner. That would be a neat idea for a story: Dream a reality and have it become real. Then having to decide if you want to live in the world you created.
Hands off that one guys, That's my next project.

No comments: