Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Curious scientifics

NASA launched a space probe called MAVEN today. Bound for Mars to study the upper atmosphere. Don't take my word for it, here's the scoop.
Spent the evening baking two pies with my daughter. I'll turn her into a cook yet. I'm still wearing my Darth Vader cooking apron. Does that say anything about how I run a kitchen? Maybe...
The ISS has been in orbit for 13 years. Woo!
We just had the Leonid meteor showers a few days ago, I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to see them. I'll catch them the next time around.
I'm really excited about the holidays this year. I'm not sure why, but I'm really looking forward to them.

Over this last year, things have gone by too quickly. My wife and I sat down with our oldest and discussed colleges she should apply for. There have been a few places that turned up. For me, I'd like her far enough away so she can grow on her own, yet close enough to catch her if she falls. Is that being over-protective? I don't think so.
All the stuff I learned as a kid growing up served as a basis for my first venture into the big, bad world. There were triumphs and setbacks, but what I learned the most from were the mistakes. Fortunately, things turned out alright. I want my girl to be exposed to some harsh realities. Those bad times I went through made me stronger, and that's what I want for her.
Sure, working overtime or two jobs is tough. Few people do that because they want to. It is because they have to. It all boils down to responsibility.
That doesn't take away from good times, but it makes those good times extra special.
My family had a very trying year, perhaps that's why Christmas and the end of year celebrations mean so much more to us.
    

No comments: