Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Showdown shutdown


Republicans and Democrats went head to head yet again yesterday. Each vowing they wouldn't back down. Each wanting something the other side doesn't want to give them. No compromise. No bargaining. No reaching across the aisle. You could almost smell the testosterone, although you might be tempted to call it something else. If I were the Republicans, and the Affordable care act (Obamacare) was something they are so sure it will fail, then why don't they let it? If they are convinced this is bad for the country, they should let it succeed or fail on it's own merits. If it fails as badly as predicted by the Fox pundits, they could could step in and say 'I told you so', get it scrapped and abolished, then ride the wave of Republican presidents and policy.
Instead this grandstanding government shut down is the final nail in the Republican party's coffin. I'm going to make a prediction: With the elections coming up, watch the Republicans lose big time.
Americans are tired of living in fear. We don't back down from a fight, even if it's with ourselves.
After carefully weighing the pros and cons, I'm going to say the thought that is perhaps on everyone's mind: What is so bad about the law? Is it because it takes power out of the insurance companies hands? Is it because it allows people to be covered who otherwise wouldn't get health coverage? Is it because this came from a black Democrat?
The core of the Republican philosophy is; “I've got mine, now piss off, you get your own.” In part I agree with that. I've been trying to carve out a living using the tools available for my family and myself for many years. Not once have I shied away from work. I would rather earn it than sit on my ass and let others do the job for me. In taking a look at my past tax returns, I discovered an amazing fact: In the last ten years my salary has been staying the same or growing smaller. Inflation continues to rise, cost of living has gone up. My earning power is diminishing despite taking on second jobs and minimizing my personal life. We don't go out. I haven't been to a movie in a while. (for those keeping score, my last movie was shortly after fathers day.) Last night I canceled my cable TV. The phone and internet are down pending payment. This weeks paycheck is already earmarked for power utilities. If this is what the Republicans want, I will do everything in my power to stop you. Congratulations! You just pissed me off.

No comments: