Translate

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mechanical work, technical details

For a long time now, I've noticed one or two problems with the site. Every so often the font color of the post changes on me. There be Gremlins in the code. One day, it will be easy to read. Other days it's like, 'What the hell is that?' I've tried digging around in the guts of this program. I've even tried to alter the HTML code by hand, but that didn't work. When I did find the proper button/ lever/ setting, Blogger insists that the font is white, (As I look at it now, the font is a black scribble.) One of the things I did fix was the comments section. Now anyone can post. So gripe away folks...
I've got a shelf to build and a bathroom to clean today. Along the way I wanted to get some writing done. Some people have spring cleaning, this is the fall purge.
The way things are going, I may not have time to write until November. No, I'm not happy about that. Here's how I look at it: All I learned from working retail was that hard work and minimum wage will get you... minimum wage. One of my old store managers was a fully trained optometrist. Now here he is working retail. Why? Maybe he needs the money. Hey, remember the math genius I wrote about who worked at Subway to pay the bills?
So I write the stories because after I'm dead and gone, what's left? No one is going to miss that funny looking deaf guy who worked so hard. If I stay this present course, my name won't come up in a Google search. My stories will stick around because people who've read them, told me they were good. When the day is done, I can point to a chapter in the latest book I'm working on and say; 'This is what I did.' Other people have responded to me by saying, 'Well, I got the high score on my favorite game.', or 'We pulled in thousands of dollars for the company.'
But when that game is turned off, I'll bet you that high score ceases to exist. Think they will remember the little guy while the C.E.O's and stockholders count their portfolio's? What I write is tangible... measurable. While this may seem like a crappy attitude to have, I'm just trying to be realistic.
So I'm terribly sorry if I don't get the house 100 percent clean, Martha Stewart approved. I'm trying to find a happy medium. The lawn may not be mowed, but I'm going to have a few chapters to show for my clutter.
I might want to remind everyone: Tom Clancy was an insurance agent before he began writing. His first story wasn't an instant hit. The Hunt for Red October probably wasn't his first attempt at a novel. My first story sucked so bad, I never tried to finish it. I've finished three novels so far and I'm halfway through the fourth. Each story I've written has gotten better. I'm honing the craft, working on my game. Heck, J.K. Rowling was on unemployment and Stephen King was a teacher. What do these people have in common? They kept working on their writing skills until the big breakthrough happened. They wrote a story that caught people's attention and fired the imagination.
Now, if you will all excuse me, I have to get back to honing my storytelling skills.

1 comment:

RAF said...

Stay your course man, to hell with the lawn!