Translate

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Coming from behind

Still having no internet, I'm 'borrowing' access from a friend until my monetary difference with AT&T gets resolved.
Friends have asked me if I was nervous or worried about my finances. The answer is 'sort of'. If I had gobs of cash in the bank, I'd throw money at all my problems, but it wouldn't teach me anything. Here I am making the most of what little I have... and I'm making it count. Could you feed a family of 5 on less than  10.00? I do it all the time. Take tonight for example: I made cauliflower pasta and it ran me almost 5.00. I had to make an emergency run to the store, I had less pasta than I thought. Still- I did pretty damn good.

One of my house rules goes something like this:
No one leaves hungry. Even if they have a cracker on their way out the door, the condition is met. I like cooking and feeding my friends. In turn, people enjoy my cooking. We take the basics building blocks for meals and multiply them. Lots and lots of pasta, beans, rice dishes. Casseroles and cheese dishes. There have been a few times where I've eaten lightly, but never truly starved. Okay, okay... more than a few times. But while I do skip meals, I also tend to make the most of what is there.
Take tonight for instance: One head of cauliflower: 2.50. Extra pasta: 3.00 for two bags. In the 10 buck estimate, I include the things that should be in your kitchen no matter what. Olive Oil. Diced garlic. Salt, Pepper. Cheese.
Sauté the cauliflower in the olive oil and garlic. While this is going on, boil some water for the pasta.
When the noodles and cauliflower are done, combine them. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a bit of Parmesan cheese.
Know why I didn't include measurements? I rarely rely on them. I cook enough pasta to feed whoever is at my house come dinner time. In cooking parlance, I'm known as a 'dumper'. I cook by instinct and imagining what tastes good. More often than not, I succeed. 

So it's not a case of not having enough money, it's making the most of what you have. Pizza tastes great, but for the amount of money spent, I could feed any number of people several times over.

The title of this post says it all: Coming from behind. Making huge strides in fiscal responsibility and while trying not to become overwhelmed.

When one of my ideas come to fruition (writing, games, brewing.) And believe me, one or more will work. Not having enough money to go around will be a thing of the past.

No comments: