Translate

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Understanding comprehension

If I fire off a quick post, it shows. The writing is hurried, there is a lack of depth or wisdom, at least it seems that way to me. So here I am writing a paragraph or two early in the morning. With more time devoted to it perhaps I can cultivate some serious thought and discussion.

I noticed Malala Yousafzai gave a speech at the UN two days ago. This 16 year old girl from Pakistan was shot last year for going to school. Here's her story.

This girl is braver and stronger than anyone can imagine. She is currently schooling many people older than her in what is right. I admire her for standing up to the bullies, because when you get right down to it, that's what the Taliban is, a bunch of cowardly bullies.

There are things in this world that make no sense to me. Whether that is a failing on my part, I don't know. Women are people. How can you not understand that? I can not comprehend someone being uneducated. Too many double negatives in that last sentence? Tough. A person is smart. Men... Women... individuals. If you think otherwise, consider how history shows us examples of oppressors and oppressed. Owners and slaves. Have and have nots. Bullies try and keep the masses uneducated for their own good. Haul a girl off her school bus and shoot her in the head, make an example of her.
Only it didn't work.
Many of us take education for granted, until it is taken away. There was a point in my life where I stopped living for myself and started living for my daughters. Every parent wants to make the world a better place for their kids. When I see politicians trying to restrict or take away rights, I get angry. Maybe angry is the wrong word.
I get inspired to stand up to the bullies. That's why some of my posts are about the American Taliban who try and take away things like the right to proper health care, the right to an education and the right to vote.
I will never know what it's like to be female. I'll never know what it's like to bear a child. What I will do is fight for my daughters to live in a world where they have a choice and a say over their own bodies. My daughters are the most amazing, intelligent people I know. Often times my kids have said how they look up to me. It's almost as much as I admire them.

So when you're feeling down about yourself, think about the little girl who wanted to read and had to hide her books from the bullies who wanted her kept in darkness.
Malala, I salute you.

No comments: