Translate

Friday, December 12, 2014

That feeling again

Last post I was going to mention some stuff that happened earlier in the week, but got side tracked with all the space stuff.
It was 35 years ago on December 8th that John Lennon was assassinated. I was only 12 at the time. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?
I'd discovered the Beatles from my parents record collection as well as listening over the radio. That's where I was, getting dressed for school and the announcement came over the radio. I was shell shocked for the remainder of the day, in some ways I still am. He touched a lot of people and still does. A few years back, we bought that Beatles Rock Band game. My kids enjoyed it so much, even my oldest who quipped, 'Dad, these songs make sense!'
Yes, dear, they do.
The man who shot him will be up for parole in 2016, but I don't think he is ever going to see the light of day. I really don't want to mention his name, seeing as he did what he did for notoriety. So by burying his name is my little way of saying, 'fuck you bastard.'

My latest brewing experiment proceeds apace. A couple of posts ago, I took a photo of the mead right after I transferred it to the secondary carboy. Here we are five days later.
Does this make be look fat?
Notice the color change and the yeast starting to form on the bottom. If I've done this right, it will look like white wine in color and consistency when done. The readings I took when I started indicated this will be around 14 to 15 percent alcohol. The last batch I made didn't taste alcoholic at all. It simply crept up on you like a ninja. The drinker never suspects a thing.
Hopefully this will clear up by the end of January and I'll bottle it. While every thing I've been able to read says it will be ready to drink at that time, several forums suggest that I store the mead for a year to let it mellow in the bottle. Hmm... let me get back to you on that one.


No comments: