Translate

Friday, December 19, 2014

Target rich enviorment

With so much in the news lately, I can't help but have trouble choosing what to point out. There were good things. Also, not so good things. Things that made me say, finally! and events that made me have hope for us wee humans. I can't say we've solved all our problems, but we're getting better at it, and that's promising. From the I'm-not-dead department. The Kepler telescope is back on track, sort of.  And proof we don't know everything.

There is life out among the stars. The odds are surprisingly in our favor of finding life. We're discovering life in the deepest recesses of our own planet. Is it just me or can anybody see the similarities of exploring the bottom of the ocean and the solar system? The probes that we use to explore the Marinara trench would be equally effective when we get around to exploring Europa. I'm fairly certain that was a story by Asimov or Heinlein, somebody comment on this if they remember the title of the story. Personally I think the two fields share similar obstacles. Pressure, gravity, exploration, funding. 

As far as North Korea goes, I'm reminded of a pearl of wisdom from J.K. Rowling, Tyrants fear the population they oppress. Despite it being 60 odd years into the Kim regime, something inside tells me we might see the words Korean Spring in our future. Kim Jong-un has a unique opportunity. He can follow in the footsteps of his father and continue to self-impoverish his country, or he could pull a Mikhail Gorbachev and do a Korean version of Glasnot. The world does not abide a hermit kingdom. Choose wisely Mr. Kim.

No comments: