Translate

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Cards for Christmas

I'm going to make this a quick one while the girls get the dishes taken care of. One of the traditions in our house is the girls get to choose between two books for me to read before sending them off to bed on Christmas eve. The first is 'The Night Before Christmas', by Clement C. Moore. This particular edition is illustrated by Mary Engelbreit. I think the whole book is wonderful. Maybe it's just me but Santa on the cover looks suspiciously like Jerry Garcia.
I never get tired of reading that poem. Each time I get up in front of my audience, I find something new in it that just makes me feel warm inside.
The second choice is 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', by Dr. Suess. Another classic that will never get old.
Tonight we played a card game called Five Crowns. The beautifully illustrated cards will do their best to keep you from concentrating on the game itself. A simple rummy-style came with ever changing wild cards. This game is good because it helps my youngest with her math skills although she doesn't know it. My middle daughter the card shark actually managed to remain scoreless for nearly the entire game. 
I have a feeling there is going to be a rematch tomorrow after presents and possibly before I make pancakes.
Merry Christmas one and all!

No comments: