Translate

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

And now for something completely different

Regular readers know that strange things happen in my household, for certain values of strange. Weird, wonderful, exotic, odd. Insert you favorite adjective here.
So a friend of ours gave us some venison. In the past I've made chili with caribou, Grilled venison steaks and even had a vegetable stew with chunks of deer meat in it.  Tonight I'm making a pot roast with backstrap. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Only 5 more days until Cosmos returns and I'm so stoked. That's a new trailer in the link, by the way.
Usually, I don't watch Fox. Like I tell people: vote with your wallet. Fox is to news what Wrestlemania is to the Olympics. Increasingly, I'm getting my news from BBC and the Huffington Post. Kinda sad, isn't it? Walter Cronkite, we miss you.

For people just tuning in, I want to go over a few of my guidelines:

  • I tend not to call people out and rail on them. This is not the forum for that. Public figures who make fools of themselves are fair game. So Joe from accounting gets a pass, Rush Limbaugh is a windbag who I've no problem deflating his ego.
  • Every person has parts of their life that sucks. The trick is not to focus on that part no more than necessary. I don't like juggling the bills, but if I take care of business, then I can spend time with friends and family. In other words, don't dwell on the bad stuff, 'cause you don't want to miss the good things.
  • Learn something every day. The things that come across my computer screen, you may or may not have heard of.
  • Look for the fun. People may call it the silver lining, but the gist is there. Have a hobby. Explore the creative. Read for pleasure, but most importantly, LOOK.
Those are some of the things I go by. So chuck the ego and don't take yourself so seriously, not all the time anyway.
When I make a joke, I try and not do it at someone else's expense. People like to laugh, they don't like being laughed at.

A quick browse through some of my older posts, you can get the impression I live a charmed life. Of course, I don't. My life has it's ups and downs the same as everyone else's. Treating people the way you want to be treated should be a law. For the most part I've noticed it's not about getting ahead, or falling behind, it's about breaking even. Don't look at your neighbors stuff and say, 'why can't I have that?'
That whole thinking is wrong. The only time you should be looking at your neighbor's stuff is to see if they have enough to get by... to break even.
Life (or the world) owes you nothing. Get that through your head and things will get easier.

And finally, if you have a Kindle or Nook, any kind of an e-reader, please check out my book, Travelers Road on Amazon for only 3.00 USD. It's getting awfully lonely there by itself. While I'm busily writing the sequel I am also trying to get TR on with Lulu.com for the indie publisher route.
Thanks for reading.

No comments: