Translate

Monday, March 24, 2014

A lot tougher

This post might take a bit of time because I want to do this right. When I find a topic I want to talk about, I do a little research, read a few articles and give my take on them. Pictures and links are a plus. Here is my hour research rule: If I can't find it after an hour of using Google or any other search engine, then other people would have a tougher time or not at all.
I'd recently finished reading an article about climate change. It's happening. Here's the whole article.
One paragraph that was noteworthy was this one:

1.  Climate scientists agree: climate change is happening here and now. Based on well-established evidence, about 97% of climate scientists have concluded that human-caused climate change is happening. This agreement is documented not just by a single study, but by a converging stream of evidence over the past two decades from surveys of scientists, content analyses of peer-reviewed studies, and public statements issued by virtually every membership organization of experts in this field. Average global temperature has increased by about 1.4˚ F over the last 100 years. Sea level is rising, and some types of extreme events – such as heat waves and heavy precipitation events – are happening more frequently. Recent scientific findings indicate that climate change is likely responsible for the increase in the intensity of many of these events in recent years.

Good enough for me, I was planning on my next car being a hybrid or electric car anyway. I've written about this in the past, but there's more to it. I'm seeing more solar and wind farms on the landscape and because of that I'm cautiously optimistic. What's the downside here? having a cleaner environment? Fewer gas guzzlers? Really, what do we have to lose?

Despite all that, I think things are getting better. Why? Because of this. Hey, wow and fantastic! There is evidence the ozone hole is getting smaller. It's my personal belief that we're not that far gone and by being a little more conscientious about our role on the planet, we can undo the damage we've caused. That isn't reason to slack off. If anything, I think we should put more effort into recycling and alternate energies rather than coal and oil. I'm going to make a prediction: we are going to run out of fossil fuels in our lifetimes. 



No comments: