Translate

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Rule reminder

"Try those brownies," said the nice lady at my church before the service began.
One of my old rules emerged from the depths of my memory. "I Never refuse homemade brownies."
That got me thinking about all those other rules I like to live by. You may recognize some of them. I paraphrase a lot, but the meaning is the same as similar quotes you've heard before.
Treat people the way you want to be treated. This is one rule I need to remind myself of often. I hate it when people are condescending to me. A little sarcasm is okay and funny in the appropriate context, but I like to treat people with respect, it's often returned in kind.
Don't be jealous of other people's success. Instead, I like to be happy for my friends. When I rejoice in a friend landing a contract or overcoming an obstacle, I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and it shows. I'm truly happy when there is a break through.
Do no evil. Other folks say Don't be a dick. If what I'm doing is hurting my fellow man, I try and find a way around the problem. Being selfish and rude is never a good thing. Thinking about the other guy is simply manners. Give hand ups, not hand outs.
Never refuse home made brownies. cookies and treats go into that category. The person put some effort into making that pie, give them a compliment to show you appreciate their efforts.
Beware of people who talk fast, there's a good chance they are trying to snow you, at the very least separate you from your hard earned cash.
Every con man I've met, from used car salesmen down to politicians, try and convince you of something or trick you into going along with them. I'm slow to trust, especially when you're talking faster than I can read your lips.
Watch out for the little guy who thinks he has nothing to lose. People who are having more than their share of bad luck. Often times those folks really don't know what it's like to lose everything. I've come close, but as long as I have my family, I'm good. The desperate loner, the constant loser who makes bad choices... They often don't see ways out of situations. That makes them explode and they tend to take as many people as they can with them. What helps that? How do you deal in that situation?
Talking to a friend. Write a letter, send an e-mail. Call and connect to your family. You might do the talking, but also do the listening. Yeah, it's that important.
Too much of anything is bad for you. Take everything in moderation. In nearly every situation, Americans overdo even the basics. This goes for Love as well as booze or smoking.
Be slow to trust, but steadfast in friendship.  People will tell you, I'm the first person you want to come to for help and the last person you want to piss off. I will move mountains and cross the desert for a friend. In fact, I have.
Let go of the negative feelings. Holding anger and frustration inside will eat you up. Don't keep it all bottled up. I still need to hear that.
Volunteer for things, at least once a year. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you feel good about what you're doing. (See my rule about not being a dick.) While we're on the subject of volunteering...
Donate blood. Do this at least once every six months. Blood and plasma centers are in constant need and there is an unfortunate person who is literally hanging on for dear life. A blood donor often means the difference between life or death for them.
Vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain about the crummy politicians. On a side note: don't go throwing a temper tantrum when your candidate loses. I can verbally express my displeasure with a mayor or senator, but burning a mannequin in effigy is crossing the line. Yeah, I'm looking at you Tea Party. In a related item...
Speak your mind, but be prepared to back your view up. I can't tell you how many people I've met that are positively venomous against a politician, but have little to no reason why. Different skin color doesn't count as a reason.
Have a garage sale, reduce the clutter. I put this one off for as long as I could, but I felt better having gone through with it. It felt cathartic. A weight that I didn't know I was carrying was lifted off my chest.
Be honest. That way you don't have to remember what you told someone. Flattery, tact and diplomacy is all well and good. Telling tales to impress a pretty girl? never a good idea.
You're stronger than you think. Don't be wary of being the strong person. You may not feel that way, but to others, you are their rock foundation and inspiration. While we're on the subject, it's okay to be scared, don't be afraid of an object or person. If you can't do that, fake it. Others can't tell the difference.


   

No comments: