Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sweet 16

My daughter turned 16 today. We're on an even numbered year, so that means my kids will be 18, 16, and 14. Wow, where did the time go? Wasn't it just yesterday I was changing her diaper and teaching her how to tie her shoes? I'm not old enough to have teenagers, am I? It is entirely possible that the wife and I will be experiencing empty nest syndrome in a few years, I'm looking forward to it... and not in a walk to the kitchen in your underwear sort of way. On paper, that looks bad. Children never truly leave your life. They spread their wings and fly into the world. As smart as my daughters are, which is smarter than me, they will fly far and well. Of course they will return home. Of that there can be no doubt.
A long time ago, perhaps last week, daughter #2 and I were in a pool, teaching her how to swim. Now at this age, she can be quite head strong. She ordered me out of the pool so she could try and swim without any help. Humoring her was part of the fun. I was proud she wanted to try things on her own. Like all baby chicks learning to fly, my child pushed away into the water attempting to doggie paddle... and sank like a rock.
She may have thought she was soloing, but fear not, she was just an arm length away. Hoisting her out of the water, probably giving her a wedgie in the process, I lifted her back into the world of air breathers. After spitting out the water she'd nearly swallowed she uttered a famous one liner. 
"Not good."
For a moment I couldn't decide if I should take her out of the pool or throw her into the deep end.
Having just read this over my shoulder, she claims not to remember that incident. This might be a suppressed memory or teenage amnesia. In her defense she swims a lot better. Turns out throwing her in the deep end was a good decision after all.

No comments: