Translate

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What I'm grateful for

It was pointed out yesterday by minion #2 that I was spending too much time typing away at the keyboard. (much like I am now... oh, the irony.)
Her main concern was that we, as a family, might be in the same room and yet be miles apart at the same time. What can I say? She's right. So we're going to fix that.
Meals will be eaten together and a little earlier. We're planning a family game night tonight.
That's also why I'm working on this post a little beforehand.
Getting together with friends on a Friday night was what passed for family game night before. We'd play cards or a board game or do some role playing game.
Tonight we're supposed to play Battle Force. I don't know what it is, I've never played it before. The only thing I do know is it has to do with Battletech, the table top strategy game I play and still like to keep a hand in.

What I'm grateful for is my daughter felt comfortable enough to come to my wife and I and voice her concerns. Let me say that again: A teenager who wants to talk to her parents. Wow! Shocked and honored at the same time.
The other day when I picked up my oldest daughter from the airport, the first words out of her mouth were; 'I love you.'
Sometimes I really don't know how good I've got it. My kids confide their secrets to me.(Most of them, I'll take what I can get.) We have an excellent rapport.
We have the support of family and friends when we need them. I feel truly blessed.
My wife sent me a message about an hour ago. Her bosses neighbor gave us some squash to go along with whatever we're having for dinner. When did I start getting excited about things like that? It could be my faith in humanity gets restored by 'just' that much. It feels good when that happens.
We're experiencing a record heat wave here in Texas. Yesterday was the hottest day on record since the 1960's. But inside the house, we're cool and comfortable. Yes, our air conditioner got fixed and I want to publicly thank my father for helping us get that taken care of. You're the greatest, Dad.
So yes, I have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments: