Translate

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The week in pictures

In keeping with my promise of updating three times a week, I now present my 'you don't see that every day.' photo.
Introducing: the hover truck
 If you look closely, you'll notice both tires are being changed at the same time. Now I don't know how you do it in your home town, but I was taught to change a tire ONE at a time. Yes, the truck is up on jacks and braces. Also of note: the truck cab is still hooked up to the trailer, so it's not completely unsupported.

Now this would be an excellent time to show you the sketch my artist friend Charlotte did for my book, Travelers Road, but I haven't discussed it with her. I'd certainly like to promote my book, but I wouldn't want to use her sketch without her permission. Having just talked about plagiarism in my last post, I wouldn't want to appear hypocritical. Instead, I'll just show you the link to her deviantart page.  Here's a hint: It's the one that says chapter 1 example.
I'm fortunate that she's a local artist and willing to share her vision of my book in the next stage of it's development. In a perfect world, I'd pay her to do a sketch for every chapter. Charlotte has some remarkable ideas and very talented. If you want to drop her a line and let her know what you think of her work, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Now of course, my book is currently on sale for one dollar as an e-book. I'm doing this on a wing and a prayer. Marketing and promoting my work is something completely alien to me. People who have read Travelers Road agree on one thing: it was fun.
So this goes out to my readers in Germany and Russia: Please buy my book. I heard you could also buy and read it on Adobe. I'm not sure if that's the case, but please let me know how it turned out.

Last thought before I hang it up for the night.
Yesterday was Phil Foglio's birthday. He and his wife are the creators and masterminds behind some really popular web comics. The latest in a long string of successes is Girl Genius.  I've long been a fan of Phil's work and first became aware of him back in the eighties. Doing the math, he's only a few years older than myself, which in turn means he was drawing cartoons for a magazine while he was in his twenties.
What I often hear when people complain about having to do something: 'But it'll take forever. I'll be too old!'
My response is; Yes, but how old will you be if you don't start?
We can procrastinate and delay all we want, but success comes to those who work at it... all the time. Not some of the time, not part time, put every spare minute you have into making a dream of yours come true. Not a day goes by when I don't write. At the end of the week, I have something to show for my efforts. You can play a video game all you want... get the high score even. But as soon as you turn the game off, that score is gone. Nothing to show for your two or three hours of time.
I can press print and my poor little deskjet would run out of ink very quickly. When people wanted to read my book, I'd head down to Kinkos. That soon became an expensive sideline, which is why I'm here. I'm looking to start a library. Soon as Charlotte and I get our cover drawn, I'm going to look into getting this project funded. Would anyone like to help?
  

No comments: