Translate

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Fight the good fight

Well, I was going to write about the Supreme Court decision supporting Hobby Lobby, citing religious belief to deny insurance covering contraception, but I'm going to let George do the talking. When I say this isn't the country I grew up in, I mean letting bigotry disguised as religion dictate policy. We are becoming a theocracy, pure and simple. I'm saddened that the separation of church and state is becoming such a blurred line. I for one will vote with my wallet and not shop at Hobby Lobby. I urge my friends to do the same. 

Last night, a man I deeply respect and admire lost his battle with cancer. Richard Benton Turnbull, my father-in-law, passed away after 2 AM EST. He was suffering from stage IV cancer for the last several years. Over the years he taught me patience, mainly by putting up with me. He showed me how not to act rashly and to think before committing to an action. Perhaps I taught him something in exchange, but I doubt it. The man had a deep, broad understanding of life that can only hope to match.
Often times we told each other jokes, he did most of the telling, I did most of the listening. It took a while for me to transition from 'Mr. Turnbull' to 'Dad', but that was on me, not him.
I'll miss that easy going smile he had for every person he met. When ever we parted company, I would ask him if there was anything I could do for him, what would he like me to do. The answer was the same. 'Be the person you are.'
Thanks, Dad. I'm going to try and be the best person I can be.    

No comments: