Translate

Friday, May 16, 2014

A kiss is just a kiss

Finally found a blogworthy subject. It's one thing to say you're in support of gay marriage, but when two men kiss each other on national television...
I'm talking about this.
George Takai says it so much more eloquently than I could have. After reading his blog, I have to agree. America is going to have to get used to things like this happening.
I didn't see it when the incident occurred, but there were enough videos and talking heads chatting about it to make me take notice. 
Strangely, more people are upset about two men kissing, rather than two women kissing. Hmm, double standard much?
You are either open to the idea or against it. Much like being a little bit pregnant. You are or you're not. It's that simple.
You know what raised an eyebrow with me? When a male character in Doctor Who kissed the Doctor a few years back. It made me do a double take. I didn't hate it. I couldn't believe they got away with that.
This doesn't mean I am leaving my wife of 23 years. This does not mean I'm about to buy floral prints and any of the other stereotypical tropes you can imagine. So Micheal Sam found somebody who rocks his world. Good for him. This all ties together. Sam's happiness doesn't take anything away from mine. My rights end where his begins. So he's excited about being drafted by the Rams. Actually, it would be a bigger deal if he was signed to the Steelers or Cowboys.
People were upset by the open display of affection. Others expressed their bigotry over the fact a gay man was playing the 'manly' sport of football. Maybe I missed it, but nobody got upset over a black dude and a white guy kissing?
Years ago, being gay on television was a punchline. (Three's Company, Will and Grace, Modern Family) But that's all sanitized. Couples in love hold hands, kiss, and yes, have sex. My three daughters didn't just zap into existence one day.
When two people fall in love, it's almost magical. In a world of 7 billion people, you find the one who completes you. In my humble opinion, it would be a crime to deny anyone the joy I've felt for nearly the last quarter century.
So when I say I'm an ally of same sex marriage, I actually mean it. Friends are hard to come by and as time wears on, there is no room in my heart for hate and prejudice.
Do what makes you happy, Micheal Sam.   

No comments: