Translate

Sunday, December 8, 2013

These times are a changing

Some recent developments have come to my attention. You may have noticed them too, but I'd like to mention them here.
My last post featured a Facebook page with the auspicious title of God. Funny and thought provoking were the first two things that came mind when I saw it for the first time. Unlike a certain portion of the internet, I wasn't offended by the idea of somebody impersonating a supreme being. After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that whoever is doing it is honestly trying to help people improve their outlook on life.
Today I want to recognize a person who is single-handedly turning Catholicism on it's side: Pope Francis.
When a new Pope is appointed I give it as much attention as whoever wins the Miss America Pageant. Fluff, pomp, circumstance and no real bearing on the real world.
When Pope Francis uttered the words; 'Who am I to judge?' in response to homosexuals, I'm sure it turned a few heads. It sure caught my attention. Here's a link with some of his best quotes from the Huffington Post.
The next thing to come across my computer screen was the Pope embracing a severely disfigured man.
Wow. 
My respect for the man who practices what he preaches increased exponentially.
The Pope prefers to live in a simple apartment rather than the Apostolic Palace of his predecessors. 
As if I needed more evidence of what kind of man Pope Francis is: This is about the most adorable thing I've seen.
There is a video from CNN floating around and it basically shows the same thing featured in the link above. Pope Francis is treating the boy with love and compassion and the boy reciprocates the same to him. The meaning isn't lost on me. There is hope for humanity yet.
And finally, the piece of news that brought me to write this post: Rush Limbaugh and his teabaggers are condemning Pope Francis for denouncing market based capitalism.
I knew trickle down economics was bullshit when I first heard about it during the Reagan Administration, and it's bullshit now. Right wing windbags view the world in black and white. If you don't believe everything according to the gospel of Fox, and refuse to blindly follow conservative cronies, then you must be a commie atheist scumbag.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Mr. Grumpy Old Person, but the world isn't black and white. You should be rewarded for your hard work. But that reward shouldn't come at the suffering of others. Case in point: Wal-Mart is posting record profits while the employees go hungry. This is why I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart. Voting with my wallet is one way I voice my displeasure with them. Now I'm not saying all profits must go to the employees, (that's the black and white thinking again.) I'm saying a portion of the profits should go to the employees. If not in the form of a raise, then as a bonus for a successful year of business.
Cake anyone?

 

No comments: