Translate

Friday, December 20, 2013

The power of family

In general, I ignore reality shows. Survivor, who cares? The Bachelor, I really don't care. I found Dog the Bounty Hunter interesting because there was a positive message and I got to see a different side of life. Don't get me started on Jersey Shore. Those people are a waste of oxygen.
So Duck Dynasty is about a Louisiana family who made a fortune with duck calls and hunting related items. Hmm... semi-interesting concept, let's sit down for an episode and see what it's about. I watched three episodes and couldn't fathom an excuse to watch another. Sorry, folks, I don't get it. Sure the Robertsons seemed nice and harmless, but that's as far as it went.
Then the Patriarch of the family says some pretty direct comments. 
My reaction? Who cares. For starters, the GLAAD people got offended. They live for this crap. If we all ignored it, this little shitstorm would never have happened. It's one old guy's opinion and he's entitled to it. Oh, look, the price of eggs hasn't changed.
One of my rules goes like this: My rights as a person end where yours begin.
So Phil Robertson doesn't understand gays. That's okay, he doesn't have to. In the same vein of I don't understand his show. I'm not required to like it, I have different tastes. That's what it boils down to. Of course the guy at A&E who suspended Phil just learned blood is thicker than water. Now the whole Robertson clan is not going to do the show without Phil. That puts A&E out of what appears to be a bit of money. Let's not even consider what the show did for the state tourism, that's gone away as well. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting.
"We just lost a top rated show and how much money?" I was betting an apology and a return to normal status for the show by the time I returned from work.
In my dream scenario, the guy who axed Phil should be given a choice: Voluntarily step down from his position as producer, apologize for suspending Phil and taking a lesser paying position as Phil's assistant. OR he can write an apology and get fired.
In reading the interview, I'm not seeing hatred or inflammatory speech, all I'm seeing is a redneck expressing his opinion. Consider the source people.
In the end, the Robertsons are going to stand by their family member, and that should be commended.
Their opinions and beliefs are exactly that- Theirs. It doesn't affect me one way or another.
He's not inciting people to riot. He's not feeding the wrong wolf.
He's just a man with a set of beliefs, let him be.
Oh, and that nameless producer at A&E? You're a spineless wimp. Grow a backbone.
 
 
 

No comments: