Translate

Monday, December 14, 2015

making the best of it

Like everyone else, I find myself running around trying to get stuff done. It seems there aren't enough hours in the day. This can cause a bit of tension, especially among loved ones. We're all feeling the holiday stress. The trick is to not take it out on those close to you, no matter how much they deserve it. I like to think that I dial it way down and try not to go full nuclear on people. My wife may snigger and point out how wrong I am for this assumption. That's part of her job description: pointing out when I'm  wrong and to keep me honest.
In all this holiday madness, I like to look for the silver lining. Our Christmas is going to look a little lean after all the little emergencies that cropped up. The bright side is I have a new door in the house. I'm thankful my brother-in-law dropped by to help us and offered his advice about installing it properly. My family is warm and safe because of him.
A friend's car broke down last night and I went out to help him fix it. We learned a bit about putting serpentine belts on, but for some reason we couldn't quite make it happen. I suspect the larger problem is we're not that bright despite figuring out how the tension wheel works. The belt always fell off when we got to the point of putting it on that last flywheel. I got them home safe and hope they were able to get it repaired. It could have been raining, thankfully all we had to deal with was the cold wind.
This week I'm helping clean a store on the far side of town. As near as I can figure it, Lowe's is having a grand re-opening of all it's San Antonio stores. We're going around and getting everything in tip-top shape. Tomorrow I have to be there at 6 AM. I haven't measured the distance... no wait, I can look it up. Be right back. Ah, just over 20 miles. The tricky part is going through the traffic. Sure that's not a problem before the sun comes up, but the way back is full of construction and rush hour. Where's the bright side in that? One girl on our crew is a full 54 miles from home two towns over. It made me momentarily appreciate the traffic.
I'll be going to bed early, despite the giggling from my daughters. I'll take what I can get.

No comments: