Translate

Saturday, May 30, 2015

It's the attitude

People have accused me of having a superiority complex. On the one hand, that's simply not true. I'm no better than my neighbors. But I like to stay busy and I can see why people might think I've got my nose up in the air. Generally I don't focus on the bad stuff that would bring me down.
Once upon a time a co-worker remarked to me, 'I don't like you, but you are good at what you do.' She said this in front of a group of people in the break room.
To which I replied, 'It's a good thing I'm not holding out for universal popularity.' There isn't a right answer to that. Don't get mad, don't get upset. Oh, no! This person doesn't like me? Perhaps it's the way we're wired.
Several people tried to warn my wife about me when we were dating. One day I'd like to meet those people who tried to discourage us from falling in Love. With the biggest smile I can muster I'd spread my hand out and touch my nose with my thumb all while blowing the biggest raspberry.
You see, if the universe worked properly, the hardest working people would be rich and famous. Personally I've met people who have the hardest jobs, the toughest lives. Hell, I think I'm in that group. In fact, there is a possibility I'm one of the founding members of the hard life crowd.
Like a very wise person once said, 'You've got to live with what you can't rise above.'
We have to make our own luck. Our greatness largely depends on our attitude. Every so often I meet a person and they remind me of who I was. This one person told me almost word for word what I once said a long time ago. The words echoed back to me over the decades.
"It can't be done."
"I wish it were that way."
"Why can't (insert name here) stop being a jerk to me."

Here goes, in order then.
It will be impossible until a person comes along and does it.
You can sit back and wish for a thing to happen, or you can go out and make it happen. That lawn isn't going to mow itself.
Generally, people wake up and do not want to kick puppies. A person is more or less self-centered and selfish. The degree of conceit varies, but I find it's a good yard stick. You are evil if you put your selfish desires above other people. The CEO's of Wal-Mart come to mind along with every bank president I ever heard of.
It's the difference between the jerk who cut you off and the one who gave you the right of way at the intersection.
The first guy could of been late to work or on his way to the hospital. He also could have been a rude asshole who wanted to get from point A to point B right away. Stop signs are more along the lines of a suggestion for them.
Those guys are the ones that think they're better than everyone else. The rules don't apply to them. Now that is a true superiority complex.
What got me thinking along these lines? This.
Ah, karma.


No comments: