Translate

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Birthday wishes

There's a saying I'm fond of. The first and only time I heard it was in a John Wayne movie, The Cowboys

'We're burning daylight.'

To me that meant to get up early and get a full productive day in before sunset. There have been times where I look back and wonder, 'Where did the day go?' and 'How much did I get done?'
Days that I work 7 to 4 or 9 to 6 in my Clark Kent job I regard as day wasters. I can't do anything beforehand and there is very little that can be accomplished in those key hours.
An ideal day for me is to do a Clark Kent job for a part of the day, then do something with sustenance in the time remaining. I can look back at the end of the day and have something to show for it. A clean house. 20+ bottles of mead. Christmas decorations put away. A clean garage. These are tangible things. 
Right now I'm waiting for the Prickly pear fruit to defrost. (Freezing them yields more juice.) I'm also having lunch.
My first venture in using the fruit resulted in an orange mead that turned gold. I was very satisfied with the results. Then someone on an online forum suggested I juice them to maintain the color. That's what I'm doing now.
So the goal for today will be a purple concoction that will hopefully be in the high teens in terms of fermentation sugars.
I'll also clean out the garage a bit.
Today is my sister's birthday. I've posted several well wishes online and this is one of them. Purple is my sister's favorite color and if successful, will be both purple and delicious. It will have to be a few months after her birthday, but I'm hoping she'll understand. If I do this right, there will be enough to go around.


No comments: