Translate

Monday, January 12, 2015

The next project

Today I went up a certain aisle of my work to look at the specially cut pieces of wood. Little 1x1 and 2x3's in a variety of lengths and type. This is research for my next project. I haven't seen a plan I like or feel I'm talented enough to go it alone. Actually I undersell my carpentry skills. The plan is to build a modified A-frame with enough space to hold 40 odd wine bottles. Right now I'm torn between using pine or oak for the frame.
My next project was going to be rebuilding the porch. Again, I'm not 100% sure how to go about it. I look for plans in books and online, but there's no room for waste and simply winging it. I know what I don't want: the exact thing I took apart all those years ago. My wife wants me to enclose the porch. All right, I think I know how to go about that. (big emphasis on the word 'think'.) I also don't want it rotting and being a haven for wasps each summer. Those were two deciding factors for me to take it down in the first place.
There are days where I miss sitting on the back porch, watching the rain. I used to listen to it all the time. I found it calming. With so many things needing repair, it's hard to decide. I usually pick a project and go with it. Lately, the projects have been choosing me. Broken pipe? Cabinet door falling off? Tail light out? Hey, those leaves aren't going to rake themselves.
So for now, stick to the plan. Fix what you can and do what you must. Easier said than done. Right now I'm trying to stay ahead of entropy. I don't get to use that word often, so give me a break.

No comments: