Translate

Sunday, April 5, 2015

So, April

Now that my taxes are done, I can enjoy the rest of April. I see the San Antonio Highland games are coming up the 11th and 12th. I promised the wife and kids I'd take them. Besides a good friend and his sons are competing in the games. One doesn't have to be Scottish to enjoy the festivities and it looks like a good way to spend the weekend. Besides, I promised my friend a bottle of mead and this seems like a good place to deliver it. Men in kilts tossing cabers, throwing hammers, and my mead: What could possibly go wrong? Which reminds me, I better bring an ice chest.
Also Saturday, April 11th is International Tabletop Day. I'm volunteering to run a board game or two at Magic Beans Gaming Cafe. I'll be running my Robo Rally game and my wife suggested I bring along Munchkins. It's been a while since I played Munchkins and I might need a refresher game to bring me up to speed. This is put your money where your mouth is time. Sure I like playing video and computer games occasionally. Call me old school if you want, but I like playing board games just as much, if not more. Some of my best memories involve playing Risk with my Dad, Boggle with my entire family. Even now my kids will beg for a family game night involving Hands and Feet, which is a variation on Canasta.
About two years ago, I played a game called Settlers of Catan and I had way too much fun. At the end of the evening I didn't want to stop playing. We all had to pack up and go home. The business we were meeting at was closing, and I wanted to keep playing! that's how addictive it was. In fact, you can play online for free.
These types of games appeal to me so much more than the first person shooter games we see out there because there's a lot of imagination involved. I suppose I aught to purchase the game, but I never got around to it. Perhaps it's time.




No comments: