Translate

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Almost

When someone I know complains about their job in a Facebook post, it comes as no surprise that a co-worker or boss sees the post. The internet is rife with people getting fired (ahem, told not to come back.) to a job that they totally disrespect the boss or the position. And you know what? If you don't like the company or store, you shouldn't be there. It is not cool to insult the boss behind his back. On Facebook? In a public forum? Please, save everyone some time and shoot yourself in the foot.
I am grateful to Lowe's for hiring me after being unemployed for so long. There are criticisms and compliments on the tip of my tongue when I talk about my employers. The people are genuinely nice. I'm proud to know them and consider many of them friends.
Last I checked, no one gets to be the CEO as their first job. Even Gorden Ramsey started off as a dishwasher or busboy. I'll admit, I don't know what his first job in a restaurant was. Earlier in the week, I saw an older video of him assisting another chef. There's no shame in that. A dishwasher becomes a prep chef, a prep chef becomes a head chef. That's the way things work.
The reason I'm on this tangent is that I almost came close to breaking one of my rules. I'm not mad at anyone, but I am upset that I was put in a tight situation through outside forces. My managers realize that and I told them I wasn't blaming them. This is one of the times I have to bite the bullet and do the job. Personal distaste doesn't figure into it. Whining about it does no good.
A couple of years ago, one of my crew had a heart attack. Since it was him and me, I took over his shifts and covered what needed to be done. That's what I do for friends.
There was another department manager who I did not get along with. It was a personality clash. We simply pushed each other's buttons. However, when she went into the hospital to have surgery, I did the paperwork for her department. That is what I do for someone I don't care for. At the time I was trying for professional decency.
We all have encountered people that we do not get along with. The trick is to act professionally, take the high road, and not let it become personal. If you behave in a calm, professional manner while others are being assholes. Karma and nature have ways of correcting the balance. If you are lucky, you'll get to watch the asshole get their just reward.

No comments: