Translate

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Many things to do, not enough time to do them in

Another week wrapped up with no sign of the cavalry coming. No rumor about some one applying for the posted position. The job isn't even closed yet. Looks like it's going to be the Mr. Bill show all the next week. Much like the 300 Spartans defending Thermopylae, I'll have a bit of help.
When the appliance truck comes on Tuesday, I'll round up a few friends with strong backs to receive the 80+ stoves and fridges. I have 5 stockers who will run stuff out for me and put it on the shelves. When those guys go home for the day, I call upon the actual workers in the department to fill spaces and take stuff out.
That doesn't mean I can breathe easy. Receiving stuff rapidly, accurately, and be in several places at once really takes a toll on a person. Things do not get put out in a timely fashion and my work piles up.
The days pass very quickly, often I don't stop for lunch. The department managers are always telling me how appreciative they are of the work I'm doing. They also buy me lunch. It's a nice touch, but eating a taco in between trucks doesn't quite carry the same weight. I'm burning out very quickly. Which leads me to another problem.
In a matter of weeks I'll be picking my daughter up from college. It will be a hard drive, but this time I won't be alone. My wife will be along to share the burden. Because of time restraints, we have to be back very quickly. The way I understand it is that my wife is currently in a long term assignment substituting position which pays X+50. A standard substitute gets paid X. If she's out for a day, then she loses her long term status and the subsequent loss of pay for the remainder of the school year. 
Sucks doesn't it?
Now they still haven't offered her the full time job, but here's my prediction: They will keep stringing her along as a long term sub and  not offer the full time job. Why? Because they can. The people who run the school district can cry innocent all they want, They've lost all credibility with me. Principles and superintendents can claim they don't know why this happens, but evidence suggests otherwise. It's the way of running business.
In retail there are two ways to get rid of someone you don't like. Marginalize them and make it so uncomfortable that they choose to leave. The other way is to overload them with work and the only reward is a nice pat on the head. In both ways the disaffected person chooses to leave on their own and the company gets none of that icky blame on them.
Stuff that in your taco.
Sorry for the rant, but I've had a rough week, (and a few beers.) On that front I've now added three bottles of orange mead to my stock.
Next time cut the pieces smaller for easier removal

Today was spent doing two things: fighting bureaucracy and bottling elderberry mead. Guess which one was less stressful?
My daughter now has a passport coming her way. They hoops we had to jump through! Showing up two hours early just to barely get in.
They allow thirty-five applicants once a week. We were number 28. Imagine if I got there at 5 A.M. I could have been one of the first ten people! I was halfway through filling out the correct form when I was told to leave the room. I couldn't fill out (or stand!) in the same room as these 'civil servants'. 
I should of gotten a medal for not removing their breathing privileges. The amount of restraint I showed was truly awe inspiring. I don't think a jury of my peers would have convicted me.
The elderberry posed a different problem. Both readings I took indicated it was .01 percent too high. A quick Google search confirmed that it might be because of the high sugar content in the fruit.
Usually I do my bottling outside where I have access to the garage of brewing supplies and tools. I also don't make a mess in the kitchen. Quicker than you can say 'pour some sugar on me', the flies descended upon my brewing and bottling endeavors. (Didn't they make a cheesy sci-fi movie about that?)
Faster than I thought possible, I ferried the mead indoors. Bottle cleaning and sterilization continued outdoors, but the insects didn't want any part of that. Few people do. The result?
Me: 23, bugs: 0
Twenty bottles with three 'samplers' (the orange caps) You can notice the difference between the top and the bottom row. Yeah, sorry about that. It will clear up on the rack as it ages. No worries.
The lovely wife designed labels for all the mead being created. I can't remember everything.
Let's see... There's Lady Jane's Time Out (prickly pear), Mellow-meady (Orange), and Sweet Child O' Mine (Elderberry). We haven't come up with a name for the dry mead. I'm leaning towards, 'Wannabe Champagne', but I'm taking suggestions.
And finally:
Ahh, lunch
You see a truck. I see the weekend.
We're getting close to the Pluto fly-by. I'll post more about that next time.

No comments: