Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2014

The popular opinion that isn't

Gather around people, we have a little ground to cover. In this last week Dan Haseltine, the lead singer of the Christian band Jars of Clay, took to Twitter with the following:

Not meaning to stir things up BUT... Is there a non-speculative or non "slippery slope" reason why gays shouldn't marry? I don't hear one.

This was copied from Dan's Twitter feed. Needless to say, the backlash has been... predictable? Amazing? Disappointing?
Yes, to all three.
Predictable because I knew the knee jerk reaction would be: "In the Bible it says..." By that same token, ham and pork chops should not be eaten, you can make slaves of your neighbors. (Do they mean Mexicans or Canadians? I always get that mixed up.) And you are within your rights to stone that slut down the street to death.
Amazing, because the loudest opponents have closed minds. They can't change their opinion and refuse to allow anything or anyone to deviate from their narrow definition.
And sadly it is Disappointing, because so many of my friends are in non traditional relationships that work. Personally, I've seen two people in love build a life together and it lasted much, much longer than a 'straight marriage'. You can't legislate love.
In an effort to avoid controversy and anything resembling a stand, Christian radio stations have taken Jars of Clay off their playlists.
Where have I heard before? Oh, yeah. The Dixie Chicks. Remember them? They were critical of President Bush and subsequently got blacklisted from country stations all over. Looking back, fans and the music industry now have nothing but respect for Natalie, Martie, and Emily.
Show some backbone people, there's nothing to be afraid of.
Giving LGBT people the freedom to marry whom they choose does not take any of your rights away.
For straight people in a marriage, this will not change anything.
For single heterosexual people, this will not change anything.
This goes under my first rule: Your rights begin where mine end. Your freedom does not take anything away from mine.
Get over it people.

Last week I found the next step in getting my book published and my writing career established. I found a small publishing house that specializes in Texas based authors. Hooray, you say. But there's a slight catch: the story has to be professionally edited. Not to worry, I found a professional editor. After exchanging e-mails, web sites and synopses, I feel confidant that this is the way for me to go. This morning I let my wife read the exchange I had with the editor and she agrees with me: it's a lot of work and money, but it is the way to get the book out. The editor is willing to work with me and requires 1/3 of the money up front. She charges 14.00 a page, which I've heard in literary forums as standard. I've looked at her web page and checked her out. She's legit and not a scammer.
For my part, I'd have to come up with the money. Fourteen dollars a page at 499 pages comes to just shy of 7 grand. 2,500 of that up front. So my wife and I sat down and came up with a few ways to make that happen. If you want something bad enough...
My resume is already out and there are a few job positions which seem workable. Depending on my schedule I can work two jobs. One keeping the lights on, and the other going directly toward the editing. I should note I get a whole lot of bang for my buck. There are network connections and critiques of work. Character analysis and marketing development.
In short: this is it. Now I have to make it happen.
For now TR is sitting on Amazon with a self publishing company as a hard copy, awaiting purchase.
There is no one button, instant fame and fortune. We all wish there was.
A long uphill struggle, but it will be worth it.

No comments: