Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Code originally posted July 26, 2013

How we behave is a good indicator of what kind of person you are. Do you act outgoing and friendly? How is your handshake? Where are your eyes looking when you talk to someone. What does your body language say to others? I want to tell you about a man I just read about. James Owens is a public speaker and he's published a few books on the cowboy way and how it applies to modern life. How many of the following guidelines do we follow in our day to day life?
  • Live each day with courage
  • Take pride in your work
  • Always finish what you start
  • Do what has to be done
  • Be tough, but fair
  • When you make a promise, keep it.
  • Ride for the brand
  • Talk less and say more
  • Remember some things are not for sale.
  • Know where to draw the line.
A lot of us live our lives by these rules and don't think twice about it. Some of those rules are harder than others, it's all situational.
Even getting out of bed and facing the day can take all kinds of courage. Always face your fears. You may face them on your own terms, but face them nonetheless.
People can say you have a strong work ethic because you take pride in your work, even if that job is bagging groceries. Do it and do it well. Don't leave a job half-assed.
You may not enjoy it, but there are unpleasant things that will always have to be done. Those grease traps aren't going to clean themselves.
If you are a parent, you know all about being tough, but fair. I said something to my oldest child before she left this morning. My wife thought it was uncalled for, perhaps it was. I'll stand by what I said though and try not to look like a hypocrite. That means I'll be doing some chores around the house this weekend.
When I say I'm going to do something, I make an honest attempt to accomplish it. If for some reason I'm unsuccessful, I usually find my way back to the person I spoke with and explain what happened. You'd be surprised at what happens when you do that.
The first time I read the sentence about 'riding for the brand', I had to think about that one. My take on that one is about being loyal. Part of my speech to new people I work with goes something like, 'If you are going to work here, then work.'
We could all do with talking less and saying more. I've touched base on that other times, but it is worth repeating.
I could fill a whole blog post on things I can't put a price on, and so could you if you think about it.
Knowing where to draw the line depends on the situation. When I find myself saying, 'Enough!' that is where the line gets drawn. No more of this wishy-washy stuff. Tell yourself: Here, Now. That is when things get done.

No comments: