Translate

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Almost spring

Don't ever let me catch you saying there is nothing to do. In fact, there's so much going on I can't realistically keep track of it all. There was a festival of sorts going on down town in the Blue Star art district. I found out about it an hour after it had started. The family was already committed to running around on errands and commitments. I only wish I knew about it a few hours earlier. I could have rearranged schedules and enjoyed an afternoon with the family outdoors.
If I have enough notice, I can move mountains. That's another one of my rules. I can think on my feet well enough, but I can't be in  three places at once. I once managed to be in two places on a single day. I spent Thanksgiving with my grandparents in Orlando, then rushed over to Tampa to pay my respects to the other side of the family. Awkward? Perhaps. These are people I like and love, but I'm pretty sure I blew through a couple of speed traps in trying to please as many people as possible. Lesson learned: I don't do that any more. It's too much of a strain. Perhaps if they were closer or lived in the same town, it would be a different story.
Up until a few years ago, I was spending over 100 dollars in postage alone to send out Christmas cards. It reached a point where I put my foot down and limited the cards to close family and friends. Even there I had to do some trimming.
Over the years my list has evolved. Generally speaking, those who send me cards get one in return. We would always like to do more than our wallet will allow.
We are due for one more cold snap here in Texas. It's been unseasonably warm and I haven't had to scrape frost off my windshield yet this year. Oh, and for those counting, the first hurricane of the year formed in the mid Atlantic. Hurricane Alex was one a class one hurricane for a brief time and only posed a problem for the Azores islands. Sigh, I remember when hurricane season started in June.
Tyson said it best: The planet will survive climate change, we won't.
I'm not losing sleep over that one, but I am trying to cut down my contribution to it.


No comments: