Translate

Sunday, September 27, 2015

A day off from my weekend off?

So Friday I had about a dozen or so people try my mead and I got great feedback. Saturday I made three test batches of pear, blueberry, and pear/blueberry combo mead.
First two

There was a slight hitch with the third. My first mead related yeast eruption.
When making beer, the first 24 hours (12 actually) are the worst. Explosion seems like too powerful a word. It goes off like a baking soda volcano. Several times I've gotten angry texts from my wife about the mess my hobby is making and how she has to clean it up.
You are so sleeping on the couch tonight
This wasn't as bad and it's a good thing I like the smell of blueberries.
Not as bad as it looks
It was shortly after that the wife discovered her windshield had been broken.
It turns out the kid across the street was playing with his friends, a football got thrown, someone dove for the catch. Her car was there to break his fall. The fact that he didn't come to us right away when it happened is something his parents will surely drill into him. I spoke to the mom this morning and asked her if she or her son had seen anything yesterday. Not thirty minutes later, mom is bringing her son over by his arm. "My son has something to tell you." He apologized profusely.
Ouch

This is what insurance is for and luckily they will be out on Monday to replace it. We won't be out of pocket, so I can afford to be forgiving.
I ended the conversation with something like; "Part of being a man is owning up to your responsibilities, even when it's an accident. Another part of being a man is recognizing it as an accident and forgiving the person who wronged you."
If I'm any judge of character, the Dad across the street is going to have a heart-to-heart with his son. There might be a grounding involved for not coming forward, but that's not up to me. I consider this resolved and I'm sure it won't happen again.

Back to bottle cleaning duty. The less glamorous side of home brewing. Over 70 wine bottles of various shapes and colors are now lining my garage shelves. Boy it's nice when friends come through like that.
Should of gone with a panoramic shot
I still had to bottle my Oktoberfest beer. Clean. Sterilize. Boil. Seal with a bottle cap. And all before losing the light. Did I mention I do most of this outdoors?
Cars with their headlights on were driving by as I busily cleaned the buckets and brew equipment. No photo of that, sorry. I was a bit busy.
Hungry, tired, sore, and tomorrow I get to go to my Clark Kent job before sunrise! 
Right now I don't know if I'm going to stay up for the lunar eclipse. I'll try but no promises.


No comments: